Tips for moving to Australia
Moving to Australia from overseas can be a daunting task. There are many things you must prepare and research before setting the wheels in motion. There are many different regions of Australia and they all vary from one another.
Summer: December - February
Autumn: March - May
Winter: June - August
Spring: September - November
- Sydney, New South Wales; www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au
- Brisbane, Queensland; www.visitbrisbane.com.au
- Melbourne, Victoria; www.visitmelbourne.com
- Perth, Western Australia; www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au
- Adelaide, South Australia; www.southaustralia.com/Adelaide.aspx
- Darwin, Northern Territory; www.tourismtopend.com.au
How to prepare for moving overseas:
- Research all the different states of Australia. Each one is different, so be sure to find the one you like. Once you decide on a state you must choose an area. For example, if you're moving to NSW, would you like to move up the north coast, down the south coast, Hunter region or Blue Mountains region? Make sure you are aware of schooling in that area, the cost of buying a vehicle, public transportation, universities and other important community centres or facilities around there.
- Research housing and rental prices. Each state differs: as an average, to buy a 3 bedroom house in Sydney costs approximately $600,000 as compared to approximately $500,000 in Brisbane.
- Make sure you have all your important documentation, such as birth and marriage certificates, driver's license, medical records, work records and references and university or trade papers. If you have children be sure to bring their school reports and any other documentation relating to schooling. These must all be certified by a gazetted government officer in your country.
- Renew passports and arrange visas. There is a range of visas available.
- Visit this link to find out more about visas and how you can apply: www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm
- Arrange to open bank accounts within Australia. Also arrange to get references from your overseas bank or lending facility.
- Decide what furniture and personal belongings you would like to bring with you then research the cost of freight to Australia.
- Book flights and medical checks.
- Book temporary accommodation for the first few days after you arrive.
- Arrange your transportation from the airport to your hotel for when you arrive.
- Be sure to change your money into Australian dollars first thing.
- International converter: www.iccfx.com